Saturday, May 9, 2009

Vegetables



I really need to get my garden going. When I started my seeds I planned on making raised beds and using the "Square Foot Gardening" method. Money is an issue these days so I will be using the "I'm gonna dig a hole in the ground and stick the plant in it" method. Buying all of the soil parts and the wood would cost around $100. I can borrow a tiller from Brian's aunt for free.

My plants have grown pretty well but I think it is time to get them in the ground. I thought I was going to lose a lot of them because while I was hardening them off it rained really hard and pretty much flattened them. But the next day they bounced back. You can really smell the basil and tomato plants when you walk out my back door. Our next door neighbor started getting her beds ready for tomatoes today. So I think I will work on that in the next few days.

2 comments:

  1. Can you arrange for some fresh produce ready to be picked for my next visit?
    Remember the "dig a whole in the ground" method worked really well for our first garden-I still have nightmares about tomatoes taking over the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps when you visit in July there will be some produce.

    ReplyDelete